Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tasteful Selections - Potato Recipe Contest

Tasteful Selections contacted me about a contest about a potato recipe. When I found out about the prizes, I ran (not walked) to hurry and email them letting them know I was IN! In just a few days a had my packages of potatoes delivered. They were the cutest potatoes ever and when I went to sleep that night...visions of purple potatoes danced in my head.

I decided to go with a wonderfully tangy green bean and potato salad because these potatoes were the perfect size and I thought their colors would look wonderful in the cold summery salad.

Let me introduced you to Southern Green Bean and Potato Salad (Ya'll are going to be good friends!)


Ingredients

2lbs of fresh green beans, trimmed and cut (in pretty little angles)
1 bag of Tasteful Selections Purple Passion Potatoes (quartered)
1 bag of Tasteful Selections Sunrise Medley Potatoes (cut in half)
5-6 green onions (sliced)
4-5 slices of cooked and diced bacon
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of garlic red wine vinegar
1/4 cup of rice vinegar
2 tsp of garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of sugar
1 1/2 tsp of black pepper



After you have washed and cut your green beans, boil for 7 minutes or until crisp tender. (Eat a couple because they are so good when they are fresh and not from a can)


Wash potatoes and boil them for around 7 minutes or until slightly soft. (Pop one of these suckers in your mouth because it is killing you to know what a purple potato tastes like. Eat another one because they were really good!!)

After your green beans and potatoes have boiled, give them a nice ice bath to stop the cooking process. (Check temp outside and decide to take an ice bath yourself!)

Take your green onions and cut them all the way up in thin slices.

This is why it is Southern Potato and Green Bean Salad. You must add bacon for it to be Southern. Likewise, you must add bacon for it to be good. Bacon is always the secret ingredient. Cut your bacon into tiny pieces.


Saute green onions and bacon together in a small skillet until browned. Set aside.


Now that your potatoes and green beans have had a nice refreshing ice bath, cut potatoes into bite sized pieces and combine green beans, potatoes, green onions and bacon into a large mixing bowl.

Combine garlic red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, sugar and garlic powder and whisk together in a small mixing bowl. Once thoroughly mixed, pour over the top of the veggies.
Cover the mixing bowl with Saran Wrap and toss gently.


Refrigerate for 3 hours and toss gently occasionally to mix. Serve chilled.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OH wow that look wonderful.. hmmmm I bet those purple potatoes would look awesoe in Mexican mashed potatoes lol

HeartBabyHome said...

That looks yummy! I like all the pictures, too.

When you said:
(Pop one of these suckers in your mouth because it is killing you to know what a purple potato looks like.)

did you mean to say "tastes like"?

Erin said...

I'd say yum but I'm not a green bean fan. I'd change it to asparagus and then I'd be in love! But that's just me. I bet my kids would eat it up faster than I could assemble it. They are green bean fiends! The recipe itself looks great to me. You and P.W. should be good friends you are giving her a run for her money with those pics! ;)

*Side note I figured out that blogger will let me comment under my name and url but not my google account. How's that for random?

Unknown said...

That looks awesome! I love green bean and potato salad. You can only make it with fresh green beans and the bacon, of course, is a must! I want some of those purple potatoes.

me, me, me, said...

the purple potato kinda freaks me out, but it is very colorful considering you are the crayon wrangler lol...wonder if you could food color the other ones and dice them smaller?....you could always mash them then and make tie dyed mashed potatoes...lol

Anonymous said...

yummy.

Katie @ The Kouture Mommy said...

That looks so good! Where do we vote? You should totally win, and I'm totally making that for dinner tomorrow! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails