Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Humor In Blogs

I have two quotes that I live by.

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

"If you can't laugh at it, you can't live with it" - personal quote

I read from my BlogFrog buddy Holly that she was sitting in the BlogHer10 (still bitter about not going) conference watching the "Humor Panel". I sent her a message mumbling about the fact that I miss all the good stuff. She sent one back saying I should be on it next year. That got the old, rusty cogwheels turning; I should be on it next year. (Told you I had a sense of humor) I will be on it next year. (Power of positive thinking towards getting on the panel next year) I can do humor. Frugal living, coupon clipping, finding the best way to whiten my fingernails or current events are not my strongest points. Laughing, however; is something I do every day.

Humor is something that I try to introduce daily on my blog, but sometimes there are things that are no laughing matter. In order to be successful as a humor blog, you have to know the limits and your own personal style. So I am going to talk about the different styles of humor and the rules of humor on a blog.

Styles:

  • Knock Knock Humor - You love sharing jokes, videos or pictures. This is the best kind of humor for a blog that everyone appreciates. There is no misreading or misinterpreting intentions.
  • Hit and Run Humor - You deliver most of your punches in one line. This kind of humor is great for interjecting throughout your blog, but works best for Twitter and FB (notice I don't mention MySpace because if you are there, it's not funny)
  • Out Of Breath Humor - These are the long winded stories or jokes that take a long time to set up. This can work for a blog if your writing skills can keep propelling your reader from the beginning to the end. This one is a little more tricky and I would suggest you never hit publish right away on these posts. Save it for a day or two, reread and make sure it makes sense and no part of it can be misread.

Rules:
  • Everything is fair game in the humor field as long as it is presented as entertainment and not a rant.
  • Never make fun of a person (especially true about family members!) You can make fun of their actions, but stay away from what might be misread as a personal attack.
  • Understand and accept the fact that everything you write may not be funny.
  • Stop TRYING to be funny, you either are or you are not.
  • Always have fresh stuff. It's not often a person will truly laugh at the same thing twice. (That second laugh was just being polite)
  • Shock value or crudeness does not equal funny.
Now that you know my personal opinions on styles and rules, what do you think makes a truly successful humor blog?

I am also looking for sponsors to the next BlogHer11 conference and Bloggy Boot Camp conferences so help me out!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This was such an informative and great post! Thank you so much for sharing this information!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I totally agree with your Styles and Rules. Very well put. I am new to your blog and I plan on visiting it often. Thanks for the link on Twitter. I'm also following you on BlogFrog

Alana, Author of Domestically Challenged said...

Love the power of positive thinking! I will be a BH11 (more postitive thinking) and would LOVE to see you there presenting too! ;)

Very good rules too, btw.

Lisa said...

Hi, thanks for the styles and rules. I try (without trying too hard I hope) to insert some humour into my post but it is probably the out of breath style where the last line or paragraph has the humour about the situlation. I am still improving my writing and a few of them could have waited a few days to work on the punch line. Thanks,Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails