Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eating Spinach For Breakfast

This morning while biscuits were baking, I sat down and watched some cartoons with the kids. We watched about 4 episodes of Popeye and while the kids were cheering every time he downed his spinach and came up with super powers; I was questioning why did he wait to the last minute every time.



It was always when things seemed the bleakest that he opened up his spinach and changed the outcome. Why wait though? Why not have spinach for breakfast and be prepared to face the day armed with what it is going to take to conquer the "Blutos" in our life?



All of us have some Spinach available to us. Whether it is prayer, meditation, a chat with a trusted friend or a call to our mom. It empowers us and strengthens us. Yet, why do we wait until we are crumpled in the corner with our thumbs in our mouth to seek help, strength and direction? What if we were to start our day with a good ole' helping of "Spinach"? Starting our day with strength, empowerment and direction. What would the outcome be? It may not erase every "Bluto" in our life, but it would change how we deal with them and how we come out of the situation. I encourage you to try "Spinach" for breakfast for a week and see how you feel!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could erase all the Blutos in your life by a phone call! I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Ofthesea said...

Love the idea. Will now go and have chocolate-covered raisins for breakfast... what? Is that not what you meant? ;)

Sandi said...

This post is awesome because it asks such an important question. Why DO we wait till we're on the verge of exhaustion, burnout, whatever before we eat the "spinach"?

Life is never handled and we'll never get rid of all the Blutos, but nourishing myself (really? spinach? LOL) would sure help me deal with them differently!

melonbelly said...

you said it perfectly!

www.melonbelly.blogspot.com

Jennifer Farris said...

Mmmm...spinach! Fresh is much better than canned. Loaded with so many nutrients! A great analogy to spiritual life.

If only my kids would eat it. We just bought a Popeye DVD - love that old cartoon.

The WayfaringPilgrim said...

Because we know we can. That is we wait because we know we can wait and at the last minute all will be well. Sometimes "familiarity breeds contempt". Another way to put it is that we have lived too long under the grace of God and have taken it for granted.

The WayfaringPilgrim said...

Because we know we can. That is we wait because we know we can wait and at the last minute all will be well. Sometimes "familiarity breeds contempt". Another way to put it is that we have lived too long under the grace of God and have taken it for granted.

Anne said...

Gotta love that spinach, spiritual and the green stuff!

It's so important to take both kinds early on to build resilience instead of waiting until Bluto comes along and you have to settle for just patching up the wounds!

Maryline said...

I am so with you, why wait?

I like to ask these questions, it's like the lamp genie; just ask to have unlimited wishes,and pronto your problem is solved.

I say you try the morning spinach first, then report back to us?

Cop Mama said...

This is such a thoughtful post and excellent point! I need to remember to start my day off with scripture. It seems like in the quiet of the morning is when I can hear Him speaking to me best.

Unknown said...

I will take my spinach mixed with good things in a quiche to start my day. I need the spinach, but adding yummy things like thankful prayers will blend to make a yummy dish.

Found you on Mom Loop!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails