Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hands


Of all the parts of a newborn that make them so stinkin' adorable, I think it is the hands that fascinate me the most.

Sure the new baby scent (wonder why they don't make that in those little car dangling trees?) the cute little button noses, the tee-tiny ears, pouty little lips, wondering (and so confused) eyes...those are all cute, but the hands take the cake.

I look at all the tiny bones, joints and muscle and see so much potential. From the first moment that tiny hand grasps my finger with a strength that amazes me, holding on with all their might as if they are drawing security from the basic connection; I wonder about all the things those little hands are going to do in their life.

The first time they grasp a toy that has been out of their reach and the look of amazement at what those little hands can do.

The first time they shakily grasp a cup and learn the joy of independence.

The first time they grab a crayon or a few blocks and learn the art of creativity.

The first time they grasp your hand in public when they feel nervous and learn the calmness of security.

The first time they hold onto another child's hand and learn the importance of friendship.

The first time that they hold the hand of their first love and learn the world is bigger than their own heart.

The moment that a ring is slipped on their finger and I feel as though I have lost them forever.

The moment that their newborn grasps their own finger and they are amazed by its strength.

The potential of those tiny hands will never fail to amaze me. Knit so perfectly in their creation and wanting to grasp everything in this life. May I always teach them to keep their hands open, even when it means they are letting go of mine.

26 comments:

Megan M. said...

No making the Megan weepy while she's at work, thank you. When you choose to tweet about new posts, they must come with disclaimers. Then, I don't run mascara down my face.
Thank you.

Unknown said...

This is killing me. I don't know why but I have been bitten with the I-want-a-new-baby bug. Posts like these are contributing. LOL! I love the tiny hands as well. Even the little wrists. Oh geez! here comes that feeling again!

Keely said...

Um..dude, your post gave me chills..In a good way, not like creepy scary chills..;-)

You're such a fantastic writer..(just wanted to throw that in!)

The Unkept Cook said...

I agree with Amy--seriously--my ovaries are throwing a party saying "Ba-By! Ba-By!"

And you made me cry--in the middle of my work day (what am I doing reading your blog mid-work? yeah point taken)--but you did make me cry. My "baby" is now taller than me and his hands are, like, huge . . . but occasionally he'll still hold my hand for a moment .. .

okay, need to go collect myself and get back to work!

Snapshotsofhappiness said...

Oh baby hands and feet are my favorites! So sweet! Great photo. :)

Beckie said...

Sniff, sniff. Tear. Ahh, the beauty of potential. Great post.

Kate said...

This was absolutely beautiful :-)

Tyler said...

Awesome! Enough said... awesome post and beautiful pic.. you give me baby fever about once a day

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that is beautiful! I'm totally crying right now, thanks!

*Jess* said...

beautiful post of a beautiful baby :)

glitterbygrammie said...

Newborns are awesome. I will be getting one in July.New grandbaby that is.

Robin G (reddoggie) said...

Such a beautiful post.

Stefanie said...

What a beautiful post! Really really wonderful!

Thank you!!!

Stefanie
http://pediatricsafety.net

Ps. stopped by from U100MBC - you're now one step closer :) Have a great day!

Working Mommy said...

I'm with Amy...there is a par-tay in muh ovaries...and some chanting for a baby going on...don't they know the babe is only 6 months old?!?! Another will come in time, I think :)

~WM

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Helga said...

What a great post! I love baby hands...I love baby feet too though. Little wrinkled baby feet...ooohhh :o)

You give me Baby GIRL fever every day!!!

Amanda said...

Love love love love LOVE that last line ... you have such a way with words! I enjoy stalking your blog and am SO EXCITED that you stumbled upon mine :) May we continue to inspire and encourage one another : ) Might I add, I love the "theme" ... Crayon Wrangler, Scribbles, etc. Very awesome!

Anonymous said...

I have lived every had moment you so beautifully wrote about. And even with a grandchild on the way, I've got a bit of baby fever, too. (what would the children think?!................... WHO CARES?!)

I think my favorite hands moment is the moment they first fold their hands in prayer, a prayer that is completely their own. Innocent, perfect, powerful and humbling to those who witness it.

I hope Bitty's head grows enough before it's too warm for hats! ;)

Melis said...

I love this. Reading about your new little one is wonderful - like experiencing the newness of my own babies all over again because you beautifully put into words thoughts I've had in the middle of the night with the babies or at random times during the day and never bothered to vocalize, let alone write and share. Thank you... your daughters will love reading this someday and I'm inspired to write more about my children no matter what else I'm doing!

Unknown said...

such a great post they seem to grow so quickly though wish they wouls stay small and that little hand would never let go

Anonymous said...

Oh wow.. I LOVE that picture! Awesome!

Mama M. said...

Oh my gosh, I'm crying! That was so sweet! You have a wonderful way with words, my friend!

Krissy said...

that was beautiful!

Brianne said...

Seriously was not looking to cry!!! Great post! I miss me some tiny baby! But even at 2 and 5 my kids still have a lot of first and they always touch my heart!

ex tx n tn said...

Love it!That was amazing and you need to copyright it and add it to your book one day!It made me tear up! Love you sis

~ t a m m y ~ said...

OMG that was so nicely written. As I sit here and see my 14 month old hands, I remainder back on how tiny it was. I have a picture of my son's hand in mine on posted on sidebar too! :-) "The really said it all" is cited above it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails