Thursday, March 24, 2011

Just For Her...

  

She hugs my legs for just a moment and then runs out of my sight. She hasn't gone far because I can hear the patter of her bare feet accompanying her hysterical giggle. No more than ten seconds will pass and she will be back. I know this game so I sit cross legged on the floor and wait for her. Her chubby legs toddle her back to my waiting arms and she smiles in satisfaction that she was right...I was there waiting for her. We do this dozens of times in a row and no matter where she goes, I wait until she comes back. 

Hugs, giggles, kisses and smiles; waiting just for her.

It's a game, but it's not. 

She's testing to see if I will always be there when she comes back. She's learning that she can exist without me.

Every time she goes off on an adventure, her feet take her a little farther than before. The dining room, the living room and an attempt to tackle the stairs; each place is more distant than the last and she looks back a little less than before.

Kindergarten, High School, First Car, First Date, College, Marriage and an attempt to tackle this life. Each place will be more distant than the last and she will look back a little less each time.

She will learn that she can exist without me, but she'll always know that I will be here waiting for her when she returns.

Hugs, giggles, kisses and smiles; waiting just for her.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

As I am for you, my daughter! Love love this post.

MarieElizabeth said...

Great post and adorable pic.

Jessica said...

Love this post, gives me chills. What a mommy you must be.

MrsJenB said...

Sniff, sniff. I don't even have babies yet and I'm all choked up. This is gorgeous and heartbreaking, yet life and love affirming.

Mommylebron said...

*sigh* I remember those days of toddler freedom testing. The limits mine test now are not quite as cute. This was such a sweet sentiment though and I love how you translate the exploration of a toddler to the growth of a young adult.
mommylebron@yahoo.com

ex tx n tn said...

awwwwww - love bitsy, who is not so bitsy anymore! needing to come visit soon! miss ya'll

Momma Fargo said...

What a beautifull girl! You must be so proud of her. She is a doll.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails