Monday, January 18, 2010

Literacy - Epic Fail

Literacy is so important, especially when following directions. Often times directions are provided in the form of pictures, but the written word is still all powerful.

I am a big reader and I adore words; but sometimes I am guilty of just looking at the pictures.

Take for instance these cookies...

Can you see the problem with these cookies? The lack of normal consistency? The plain weirdness of them?


Yeah, I noticed it too...as soon as I took them out of the oven after the appropriate 9-11 minutes of baking time. They still jiggled.


Jiggling cookies is not good.


I went back to the directions that were on the back of a box. (Yeah...you caught me, I made cookies from a premix out of a box. I have never claimed to be a baker and the kids wanted cookies.)

OK...now do you see the picture above. That's what I went by. A glorious artist rendition of a full stick of butter. Yup...I followed that. I added a full stick of butter just like the picture said...

look closer at the all powerful written word.

1 tablespoon.

Written word trumps picture once again.

The worse part of it was that my hungry Scribblers and the Head Crayon Purchaser were doing the warm cookie dance by the oven. The looks of disappointment at the Jiggly Cookies was deeper than their milk glasses.

The Head Crayon Purchaser insisted that I do this post as it has to be the dumbest thing I have ever pulled off in the kitchen. He even took the pictures. He wants...no, insists that everyone know about the Jiggly Cookies and my "Epic Fail" in recipe literacy.

He is pointing and laughing at me right now.

My esteem is as flat as though cookies and probably would jiggle like them too.

He is still laughing.

I turned around and whipped up a glorious batch of homemade sugar cookies, 2 loaves of to-die-for bread, Bourbon steak strips with rice pilaf...just to prove I was still worthy to wield a spatula...

He moaned slightly as he sampled each tasty morsel I produced....then he mentioned the Jiggly Cookies. I am not living this one down.

*Edited to add...the original post was lacking one thing and since he is no longer reading it...I HAD to tell you something. Those Jiggly Cookies with a full stick of butter are to die for! I didn't throw it away like I should have, but placed them in the very back of the fridge behind the pickles. After they had cooled, I tried one. Holy Buttery Goodness....They were like little wafer butter crisps with chocolate chips. Perhaps this wasn't the Epic Fail everyone thought they were...

I leave you with a final picture. The two year old Scribbler wanted to help in the kitchen...You know that saying "Sometimes you have to break a few yolks....."

Not in MY kitchen...Not on MY floor. *sigh*


10 comments:

becomewhatyouare said...

I did something similar not too long ago. Couldn't figure out what the problem was...

Normally I double a batch of cookies and when I wanted to triple it, I tripled what I normally do rather than the original recipe, resulting in my using 12 sticks of butter while it only required 6.

*sigh*

CM said...

Oh I'm so glad you didn't throw them away. They sound delish! You're right, though. I could see myself just throwing in a whole stick of butter looking at those directions!

BTW, "Bourbon Steak Strips"!!! MUST...SHARE...RECIPE! :-)

Mama Bee said...

Hilarious!! Especially since my 8 year old just make a batch of sugar cookies from mix that seem a LOT like your pictures... she used the right measurements, but instead of yielding 36, as the package said, she made 12. I told her she needed to bake them just a little bit longer...

Mama M. said...

Oh my gosh! That, is too funny! Did you really make that meal? 'Cuz, for some reason...I think you were being utterly sarcastic!

Or not?

Love ya!

Brianne said...

Hahaha I was wondering the whole post if anyone sampled them!!

Kate said...

At least now you have some snacks for yourself ;-)

~ t a m m y ~ said...

That something that I would do, especially if you are rushing...who needs to read when you have pictures! Well that why magazines is so popular! ;)

Shannon K. said...

I totally would've tried them too!

Jamie H said...

I'd do the same thing if I were in a newborn haze too. The over-buttery cookies do sound good though!!

Stephanie Hawkins said...

Epic Fail!?!? Whatever! I say Epic Masterpiece. Keep all for yourself and don't share! And I agree you should share the recipes. That stuff sounds awesome! My mouth is watering!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails