Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Transition Lenses

Have you seen those really cool glasses that "transition" between normal glasses and sunglasses depending on the light?

Well, we are having to put on our own "transition lenses"

After much flip flopping around it has been decided that my in-laws will be moving in with us when we purchase a new home within the next 3-6 months. This "transition" was not made "lightly" (snort) as we all know what can happen when living with in-laws...

insert scary music

...but we feel that long term it is their best option. I am not saying it is going to be easy or always pleasant (ought to be some good blog material here) as FIL has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and MIL is not in good health herself, but we are hoping to keep our "lenses" looking at the brighter side and make this transition into caretakers for parents as easy as we can in this last step of their lives. We hope that it will be a learning experience as well for our children on family values and responsibility.

I have never used my blog to "trash" talk family members and will not be doing so now. I hope that as we "transition" we can find plenty to learn and laugh about. Hopefully even providing some of you a common stomping ground as it may be something you are facing or going to face in the future.

I ask for your prayers during these changes as I go from a mother to 3 little girls to a mother and caretaker of 2 adults. Challenging is a good word, failure is not an option.

Until we purchase our home (meaning get this current one sold as well...ugh!) they will be staying with us very frequently while also renting a home of their own. (Not real sure how that is going to work in 1300 sq ft with 4 adults and 3 young children)

Yesterday marked a beginning as we moved 15 tons (not lying!) of their antiques (down 2 flights of stairs...holy leg burn)in preparation of their moving. Today I am tired but at least I don't have to think about working out (not like I could move my legs if I wanted to)

I did not blog about this or talk about it much as I have had to work on getting my "transition lenses" properly attached and get my attitude and outlook in order. (News Flash...I am totally imperfect!)

So welcome my newest crayons to my crayon box as we continue to "Color Outside The Lines". Creating with our colors our own perception and reality of what life is and what will be.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

*pink crayon*

I love you. Like lots. And what you are doing has toadily given you a pass through the pearly gates, even if there was that incident with the hot dogs.

You are amazing and your teaching the girlies a VERY(italics really) valuable lesson, after all, it may be YOU and The Man moving in with them someday.

*hugs*

Unknown said...

Good luck!

CharityVL said...

Lots of positive thoughts going out to you as you undertake this huge change. What a wonderful thing you are doing, and yes, I am sure, very difficult! But like you wrote, it can be a learning experience for your children on family values. Best wishes!

Mama M. said...

Hats off to you, my dear! You are a fabulous, wonderful, caring person...and you are handling this with incredible grace!

People (like me!!) could learn some valuable lessons from you, my friend!

Many, many, many hugs!!!

Cheryl said...

Caring for elderly parents is one of the hardest things you will ever do... but is also the most rewarding!
When all is said and done, having no regrets is such a wonderful feeling. My prayers are with you; God will help you as you use your life to bless others.

Laura said...

Wow, you are one amazing chica!! Can't wait to hear all the good stories! :) P.S. WHY are you moving stuff OR working out, you just had a baby. And "just had a baby" works for a good 6 months... :)

Bethany said...

Praying for you as you make this transition. I know the struggles of caring for in-laws first hand.

I want to encourage you with this, we took care of my grandparents in our home over many years (My great-papaw, then my dad's parents). It was a wonderful life lesson and I learned to love the elderly even more through it. You will be teaching your little crayons wonderful life lessons!

I hope there will be much laughter and many ups to help keep a good balance.

Unknown said...

you guys are doing such a wonderful thing!

if nothing else...it will give you some good memories!

Working Mommy said...

You know, my parents moved my dad's mother "in" with them when I was still a kid. It was kind of cool growing up with my gma next door. While I don't know your financial situation or all of the details, I can only suggest that you give them a space that is their own - while still in close range for you do be there in case they need anything. Living under one roof with in-laws - or even parents - in stressful to say the least. Maybe designate the basement as their "apartment"...or another section of the house. Just a thought, but it will make things much easier on everyone!

~WM

Helga said...

You are an amazing person!!! I don't know if I could deal with my mother in-law living with me! Then again, we don't get along very well. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Good for you for keeping a positive attitude about this :o) Good Luck and I hope you sell your house soon!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails